When you make the two into one - Gospel of Thomas
In the Gospel of Thomas is a principle/teaching that comes through a lot - 'making the two one' or 'being a single one'. What is the 'two' that you must make one? What does it mean to be a 'single one'?
Gospel of Thomas, Saying 22:
Jesus saw some babies nursing. He said to his disciples, "These nursing babies are like those who enter the (Father's) kingdom."I think Jesus didn't just say what the two is because it is a very powerful principle that has several applications and many layers.
They said to him, "Then shall we enter the (Father's) kingdom as babies?"
Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom]."
In short, the two that you must make one is about:
- Wholeness - being complete and a harmonious whole - unbroken and undamaged.
- Not being divided in yourself, not fighting with yourself, accepting yourself the way God made you.
- Having a faith that is focused - not a faith that is split into two, but thoughts and feelings that are aligned so that your faith can change your life.
- Living with unity and love for others - changing how you see others that are different (different sex, social status, sexual orientation, etc).
Making the two (opposites) into a harmonious whole sounds a lot like Yin and Yang.
In the Chinese philosophy of Yin and Yang, the opposites (male and female, warm and cold, light and dark, ... ) must form a single harmonious whole. It is not by accident that the Chinese philosophy sounds so much similar to what Jesus taught - every ancient culture on earth must have knowledge of the true God as they all lived in a universe that He created (see my article on knowledge of God beyond the Bible).
On my journey to discover what 'make the two into one' means, I was amazed how deep and powerful this principle is. I will try to explain what I discovered but I think that it is something that must be discovered by each individual - something that must be revealed by the Holy Spirit.
Not for one moment do I think I understand every aspect of this saying or teaching. I might have a couple of things wrong and miss a lot more - (you are welcome to comment on this blog and let me know) - but that is the beauty of being a disciple of Jesus. A disciple is someone that learns from his Master and follow His teachings. I am a student of Jesus and will keep on being a student of His for the rest of my life.
I want to share with you what I have discover - but dissecting Gospel of Thomas, Saying 22 is too much for one article, so I will break up this topic into several articles listed below:
- Enter the kingdom like a child
- Be one with Jesus (will be added in the next couple of days)
- Be one with creation (will be added in the next couple of days)
- You must not be divided in yourself (will be added in the next couple of days)
- Your thoughts and feelings must become one (will be added in the next couple of days)
- Being one with others (will be added in the next couple of days)
Jesus said, "I shall choose you, one from a thousand and two from ten thousand, and they will stand as a single one."